21.12.08

The Birthday Post

21.12.08
I feel no different. No sudden accelerated growth of cells nor unexpected bouts of maturity. For one thing, accelerated growth only happens in science labs and sci-fi movies/books, and maturity does not come in unexpected bouts. So I think a birthday isn't everything it's cracked up to be.

I am not disappointed, no. Disappointment, I feel, shall not come easily to me. For one thing, memories of the Saturday get-together with my high school friends keep replaying in my head. No, they're not just friends. Such an overused and underrated word would not and could never do them justice.

They are my brothers, my sisters- those select few of similar wavelengths, those who match my wits, those who could bear my callous attitude with graceful acceptance and knowing smiles. We spent most of the day in laughter (and amused annoyance- with Ray's overly bubbly little bro) and happiness in knowing that nothing changed between us. We may have changed and grown in the span of time that we were apart, but the unyielding camaraderie remains. (Krisann, Ray, Ia, AJ, Drei, Raymond- THANK YOU) And that is the best gift I could ever receive from them.

Then there's my family. Every carefree moment spent with them is precious to me no matter how taciturn I may seem with these matters. I know too well how we came dangerously close to falling apart, how I once harbored bitterness towards some of them, how it is possible for one (or several) of us to leave and never go back. Paranoid, I may be. But I learned from the best*. And being like this makes me appreciate the things that are normally overlooked by people who have a loving family.

I am not fussy with birthdays. Many people get the idea that I want a huge bash or tons of gifts to make me happy, but all I really want are the happy smiles of the people who matter.
That's all.

***
*This shall be discussed further in another post.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...what they never tell you (about birthdays) is that when you're eleven, you're also ten, and nine, and eight, and seven, and six, and five, and four, and three, and two, and one. And when you wake up on your eleventh birthday you expect to feel eleven, but you don't. You open your eyes and everything's just like yesterday, only it's today..."
~Eleven by S. Cisneros

Naalala ko yan dun sa intro mo. Except na hindi ka eleven-years old. Haha. Ayos lang yan. And, anyway, you don't think and act like most people of your age. Mas mataas pa ;).