26.12.08

Caught in His Web

26.12.08
It's official. I am definitely, positively a follower of the deity in human form named JASON MRAZ.

If you are wondering how that seemingly impossible phenomenon came to pass (if you know me personally, then you are aware of my quite different musical tastes and influences), then let me bring you to enlightenment.

He kinda looks like Hugh Grant here, but whatever. It's Jason Mrazzy enough for me ;)

I became aware of his glorious existence through my dear friend, Drei. The first song that graced my ears was "Melt With You" and that was sometime during March of 2008. Quite far back, if I may say so, because the next thing I heard of him is "I'm Yours", September of 2008. And you know what? I fell hopelessly, positively, downright in love.

He's not as hot as Joe Jonas, nor is he as dreamy as Josh Groban. He's got an unruly nest for hair, he's skinny and well...he's short. But you don't see me caring, do you? Well then, what makes him stand out among the endless line of musical deities?

His voice, as clear and free-flowing as aqua, is one of his strongest points. Only a handful of singers could boast of possessing that joie de vivre, and he is one of those blessed few. One could never tire of listening to his crooning, chocolate-to-the-ears voice, and right now, as I try (to the best of my abilities, might I add) to capture in words his flawed perfection, I listen to one of my favorites, Details in the Fabric feat. James Morrison from his album We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things. I don't think I could listen to My Chemical Romance all day long (no offense to the guys, I still love this band with all my heart).

And have I mentioned his poetry? I admit, I'm not some bigwig poet or poetry critic, and I don't read much of the stuff (I adore Poe's work, though), but I know clever wordplay and glaring yet subtle innuendos that only a master word weaver can pull off when I see it. And he's got it. Jason Mraz got it in heaps.


His song "Love for A Child" (again, from his latest album) appealed the most to me for reasons other than the soothing, catchy melody and witty metaphors. This song showed me that one thing is sure about him. He just doesn't pull words out from nowhere and slap them together with music. He writes them, and he means it. He means every single word.*



I could say no more. As Thomas Mann once wrote in his novella "Death in Venice", language could but extol, not reproduce, the beauties of the sense.



- - -

*I know that I may sound like a complete idiot with that fangirly statement, assuming that I know the man behind the music, but just humor me, will you? "Love for a Child" tugged something nasty at my heartstrings, and it made me realize quite a lot of things about myself, hence that statement.

0 comments: